This weeks collection of readings from Non Profit Nation and the articles posted on blackboard really directed my thoughts on the effectiveness and purposes of nonprofits and donating to them. In chapter 3 in the book, I was not surprised to learn that more people volunteer through religious organizations than any others because of the number of religious groups there are and how many members are involved with each. I did not realize how much of a societal impact religion has on our population and that we are considered in beliefs and practices one of the most religious of the developed nations. It's important to recognize religion for its assistance in respect to charitable giving and donating to other nonprofit sub sectors like social service, health and education.
After reading the Charitable Deduction under Scrutiny, I feel as though limiting the tax break for charitable gifts will have a definite affect on the amount people will be giving, and that a lot of the charitable organizations that people are turning to due to the current status of our economy will be impacted negatively. Its hard to be optimistic about the particular situation given that similar plans have been carried out and failed in the past. I do still think that those who have the money that regularly donate to charities and nonprofits don't do it for the tax deduction, and will continue to donate if they have sufficient funds to do so. The PhilanTopic blog post was confusing for me as I am still learning how to connect the concept of donating and paying taxes but I do understand that the height in taxes recipients of estates will have to pay could significantly change the amount they choose to donate based on what they have to give. I thought the blog post by Dan Pallotta was personally the most thought provoking of the readings. I feel as though creating a platform to measure charity effectiveness could make or break the success and income of a charity or nonprofit, but could be too beneficial to major nonprofits and to people who use the donation dollars to give up on this way to measure effectiveness. I think it could be most useful in directing people where to donate most and give them a sense of where their donation dollar is going. Although it's benefits would be great, is it worth all the money and spending on a universal method? I feel like there has to be a simpler and cheaper way. I guess it's a work in progress. As for the blog by Tim Harford, I understand that there are differences in reasons why people donate, but when it comes down to it, we can't forget that despite their intentions, people are still putting money toward whatever causes they feel inclined to donate to, whether there are outside influences there or not. Over all I think this weeks readings supplied me with a lot of different topics regarding nonprofits to think deeper about.
Jeralyn- As a pretty religious member of society, initially I was surprised to see how many people volunteer through religious organizations but then I got to thinking about it and realized how often people volunteer to do things at church on Sunday and for vacation bible school and everything. I like what you said about the Harford article too. I don't care how people give or what kind of givers they are, as long as nonprofits are receiving the money they need, I'm happy :)
ReplyDeleteJeralyn,
ReplyDeleteI had some of the same reactions as you in terms of the religious reading.. While its pretty controversial, its nice to have an organization out there that is doing good, and doesn't need to worry about pleasing board members. I don't think that I agree with you about the effectiveness platform article though. I think that it would take way too much time and funds, and the number of nonprofits changes so quickly, that you have to wonder if it would have the most up to date information. Also I think that those in charge of creating this database would have a lot of say in what they publish, so maybe it would be wise to give the job to a third party or something..
Jeralyn -
ReplyDeleteI sort of agree with your "make or break" comment, and I think that if a big, universally used system was in place, it would really put the pressure on non-profits to be clearly effective, perhaps making the whole sector step their game up. Also, when you take a big step back at look at the impact of religion on the topics we are discussing, I agree: it is striking. Although I don't fully disagree with you, I think you are underestimating the number people who would be turned off by removing the tax break on charitable donations. Sad, but I just feel like that's how greedy people are, and there are surely lots of those out there.