Sunday, January 9, 2011

Post 1

I'm Jeralyn, a sophomore brand new to UO and brand new to the west coast. This blogs purpose is to allow me to post my reactions to readings and class lectures/ discussions and to interact with the four other members of my group. I am looking forward to reading the blogs of my group members and I am hoping to gain new perspectives and experience throughout the term in PPPM280.

I decided to take Introduction to the Nonprofit Sector this term in preparation for a career in my future with a nonprofit organization. I knew that the University of Oregon had a lot to offer for me when I transferred here as far as environmentally-based work and volunteer opportunities. When I arrived here and learned that I had more options than I knew what to do with I was overwhelmed and not exactly sure what to dive into first. I was relieved to find after Tuesday's first lecture in PPPM280 that I would be surrounded by students eager and willing to devote much of their free time outside of school and classes to volunteering for the next 10 weeks. After hearing over one hundred of my peers introduce themselves and share their experiences with non-profits in the Eugene area, I knew that PPPM280 would be beneficial to me in getting started on projects in the area.  That said, I am hoping to take away a lot of information on the Nonprofit Sector after these ten weeks are over, as well as experience and connections to further my own first hand experience with non-profits in Oregon.

As far my current and past experiences working with non-profits, I have donated many hours to a few non-profits on the east coast closer to where I am from. As a freshman environmental studies major last year attending school in Boston, I had a ton of opportunities working with inner-city students on urban sustainability projects in and around Boston. One particular project that got me started and sparked my interest in the Nonprofit Sector was my 10-month experience with EarthWorks Boston. Through EarthWorks, I frequently visited three different schools in less affluent city neighborhoods building urban orchards with students in kindergarden to third grade. Along with the volunteer opportunities living in a major city brought me, I was also given the chance to travel to the west coast (for my first time) last march for an alternative spring break trip where I worked for a week with another nonprofit, the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, restoring hiking trails, building a manmade floodplain, and weeding invasive plant species all around the bay area. I am looking forward to getting to know my classmates and doing some further exploration of the west coast through volunteer opportunities and nonprofit work.

Now let's win a National Championship !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment